Safety and Security
Commencement ceremonies are festive occasions at George Williams College of Aurora University. Our trustees, faculty, and staff cherish the opportunity to welcome family and friends of graduates to campus for these special celebrations. Each year, the GWC community works to ensure that graduation festivities at GWC are joyous, memorable, and safe. The purpose of this brief overview is to ensure that you and your family are aware in advance of the security measures that will be in place at Commencement.
Please be aware of the following information and regulations:
- Every guest who enters the GWC campus must have a ticket, including infants and children. Forged, reprinted, or digital tickets will not be honored. The campus will be fenced around the perimeter of the Ferro Pavilion.
- Those arriving without tickets at Williams Bay High School or at the four-way intersection at Constance Blvd. and Ravinia Rd. will not be allowed to park or to enter the campus and will be asked to leave. Family and friends without tickets are encouraged to view the live stream of the ceremony at gwc.aurora.edu/commencement.
- Out of respect for each graduate and their families, all graduates and their guests are expected to stay until the end of the ceremony.
- For the protection of all graduates and guests, everyone entering the venue will be subject to screening; this will include the use of metal detectors and the inspection of bags. P4 Security Solutions (security staff contracted by the university) will conduct bag checks and related security inspections to ensure the safety of all graduates, guests, faculty, and staff. Please be prepared to allow extra time to go through the metal detectors and be seated. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Access to guest seating will begin at 9 a.m. for the 11 a.m. ceremony.
- Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: Airhorns, noise makers, backpacks, beach balls, inflatables, balloons, firearms, knives over 3" in length, explosives, fireworks, sparklers, animals (with the exception of service animals), large bags/purses, alcohol, cigarettes, vapes, and illegal drugs.
- For safety reasons strollers are not permitted in the pavilion. A designated area for strollers will be available for drop off, but the university is not responsible for stroller items.