Safety and Security
Commencement ceremonies are festive occasions at George Williams College of Aurora University. Our trustees, faculty, and staff cherish the opportunity to welcome family and friends of graduates to campus for these special celebrations. Each year, the GWC community works to ensure that graduation festivities at GWC are joyous, memorable, and safe. The purpose of this brief overview is to ensure that you and your family are aware in advance of the security measures that will be in place at Commencement.
Please be aware of the following information and regulations:
- Every guest who enters the GWC campus must have a ticket, including infants and children. Forged, reprinted, or digital tickets will not be honored. The campus will be fenced around the perimeter of the Ferro Pavilion.
- Those arriving without tickets at Williams Bay High School or at the four-way intersection at Constance Blvd. and Ravinia Rd. will not be allowed to park or to enter the campus and will be asked to leave. Family and friends without tickets are encouraged to view the live stream of the ceremony at gwc.aurora.edu/commencement.
- For the protection of all graduates and guests, everyone entering the venue will be subject to screening; this will include the inspection of bags. P4 Security Solutions (security staff contracted by the university) will conduct bag checks and related security inspections to ensure the safety of all graduates, guests, faculty, and staff. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Access to guest seating will begin at 4 p.m. for the 6 p.m. ceremony.
- Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: Airhorns, inflatables, balloons, firearms, knives, explosives, animals (with the exception of service animals), oversize bags, alcohol, cigarettes, vaping devices, and illegal drugs.
- For safety reasons strollers are not permitted in the pavilion. A designated area for strollers will be available for drop off, but the university is not responsible for stroller items.
- In the event that severe weather or an emergency situation occurs during the Commencement ceremony, the president will immediately conclude the event. An announcement from the stage will provide further information, including detailed instructions on the appropriate response procedures to follow. Aurora University staff will be available to assist you. If appropriate, additional information will be posted on gwc.aurora.edu.
- Plans for Commencement are based on being able to gather. AU will always act in accordance with stay-at-home orders. If we cannot hold large gatherings per the orders of the federal or state government, we will review all tentative summer plans.