Campus Public Safety Officer – Level 1
George Williams College of Aurora University is located in Williams Bay, Wisconsin. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Campus Public Safety Officer supports learning by handling emergency situations and enforcing Aurora University policies, and federal and state laws as they apply to the campus community. This position supports the Campus Public Safety mission by utilizing a community policing philosophy and working collaboratively with all members of the campus community to maintain a high quality of life. Works under the direct supervision of the GWC Director of Campus Public Safety.
- Represents GWC in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and GWC.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Handles all emergency situations arising on campus such as personal injuries, fires, threats to individuals, and all other crisis situations.
- Enforces all applicable and appropriate federal, state, and local laws, and university policies.
- Reports all security and safety violations and hazards. Reports incidents of misbehavior to proper campus authority. Serves as a positive role model for students. Provides general campus supervision.
- Provides visible patrols of the campus to deter crime and maintain a high quality of life on campus.
- Provides assistance and direction to campus visitors and guests.
- Exercises physical control only to the extent reasonably necessary to maintain order, protect property, protect the health and safety of students and faculty, or to maintain proper and appropriate conditions to learning.
- Responds when the facilities department or other appropriate personnel are not available for any other emergency circumstances.
Essential Job Requirements:
- High school diploma is required. Associate's or Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Prior experience in higher education is preferred.
- Prior experience in a community-based public safety environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of campus regulations in connection with student conduct; laws pertaining to juveniles; the effects of alcohol and controlled substances on behavior.
- Working knowledge of appropriate federal, state, and local laws including the Campus Security Act of 1997.
- Ability to work cooperatively with faculty and staff.
- Ability to interpret rules and regulations.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations firmly and fairly.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write reports and maintain appropriate documentation according to departmental standards.
- Valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Ability to work for extended periods and stand for extended periods.
- Ability to move about campus on foot at a rapid pace.
- Ability to use a computer and office equipment.
- Ability to speak to individuals and groups; ability to hear verbal conversation.
- Visual acuity (with or without correction) to read reports.
- May occasionally be required to physically subdue combative subjects; must maintain appropriate level of physical ability accordingly.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please download and fill out this application.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
George Williams College of Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.